Aniekan Bassey Etim is the 12th Speaker of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly. He currently serves as Akwa Ibom Representative representing the Uruan constituency at the State Legislature. He ventured into politics sometime in 2014 as an independent businessman. Today, Rt. Hon. Aniekan Etim Bassey is fondly referred to as the Working Speaker.
D.O.B – 30th August, 1978
State of Origin – Ekim Enen Village, Uruan Local Government Area, Akwa Ibom State
Nationality – Nigerian
Occupation – Politician
Net Worth – $ 1 Million
Aniekan Bassey Etim attended Christ the King Nursery and Primary School between 1984-1991; had his secondary education at Uyo High School; 1991- 1993 and St Mary’s Senior Science College, Abak between 1993-1996. He did a one year Remedial Studies in the University of Uyo after which he studied for a Degree in Chemistry.
He obtained a Bachelor of Science (Chemistry) from the University of Uyo and a Sociology and Anthropology in the same University.
Aniekan Bassey did his Master of Science in Social and Cultural Anthropology and development Studies at the University of Uyo. He is currently doing his Ph.D. in Anthropology at the University of Uyo.
- First School Leaving Certificate – Christ the King Nursery and Primary School, Uyo
- Senior Secondary School Certificate – St Mary’s Senior Science College, Abak
- Bachelor of Science (Chemistry) – University of Uyo, Uyo
- Bachelor of Science (Sociology and Anthropology) – University of Uyo, Uyo
- Master of Science (Social and Cultural Anthropology) – University of Uyo, Uyo
- Master of Science (Development Studies) – University of Uyo, Uyo
- Doctor of Philosophy in Anthropology (In View) – University of Uyo, Uyo
- A Certificate in Negotiation and Leadership – Harvard Law School, Massachusetts, USA
- A Certificate in Managing Yourself and Leading Others – Harvard University Extension School, Boston, Texas, USA.
- A Certificate in Win-Win Negotiation – Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- A Certificate in Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most- Harvard Law School, Massachusetts, USA.
- Fellow of Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Practitioners Association (NASA),
- Pan African Anthropological Association (PAAA)
- Chartered Institute of Leadership (CILEAD)
- Technocraft Contractors
- Gem-Paints and Allied Services Limited
- Gem Lodge
- Gem Grand Lodge
- Gem Gas and Allied Services Limited
- RHAB-YESS Foundation, a brainchild of Rt. Hon. Aniekan Bassey launched to discover, mentor and support rural women and young Akwa Ibom entrepreneurs to gain financial greatness and self-sustainability. The Foundation also sponsors free medical services and scholarships to indigent students.
- Maternal Health Experiences of Women in Farm Settlement Areas of Akwa Ibom State (International Colloquium on Environment, Economy and Health in African Marginal Communities by Alexander Von Humboldt Stiftung Foundation at University of Ibadan, June 2022).
- Livelihood and Health Challenges in Farm Settlement in Akwa Ibom State (International Colloquium on Environment, Economy and Health in African Marginal Communities by Alexander Von Humboldt Stiftung Foundation at University of Ibadan, June 2022).
- Hymn No. 4: A Novel Psychoactive Substance Consumption among Ibibio Youths of the Niger Delta Region. Social Sciences and Management International Journal, 2022.
- Parents/Guardians’ Role and Modern Day Child Slavery among Akwa Ibom People. Akwa Journal of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities Education “AJASSHE,” Vol. 1, No. 1, 17-30 pp (2021).
- Psychoactive Drug Use and Drug Abuse among Young People in Riverine Areas of Nigeria: A Spotlight on Selected Communities in Akwa Ibom State (Ripples of Culture: Journal of Anthropology, Vol. 1, No. 1, 62-72pp (2020).
- Traditional Institutions and Underdevelopment of Some Rural Communities in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Social Sciences and Management International Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 3 (2020).
- Nigeria’s Federalism: The Need for Re-Amalgamation, (South-South Journal of Culture and Development, Vol. 22, No. 1 & 2,213-234pp (2020).
- Crossing the Bar with Female Education in Akwa Ibom State: Appraisal of 2009 – 2015. Social Sciences and Management International Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 2, 1-13pp (2022).
- Black-Politics, Pseudo Federalism and Sustainable Development in Nigeria. (Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Uyo International Conference, 2018).
- Complicating Social Order in the Rural Areas, (The Nigerian Journal of Sociology and Anthropology, Vol. 17, No. 2, 112-125pp (2019).
- Ethnography Studies and Poverty Eradication toward Achieving Sustainable Development Goals in Sub-Saharan Africa. (Sociology on the Ascent. Ed: P. A. Essoh and N. A. Usoro, 38-53pp) (2019).
- Still Hoping for Medical Prescribed Drugs: Unveiling the Experiences of Farmers in Farm Settlement Areas of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Perspectives on Drugs, Alcohol and Society in Africa. Vol. 5, 2020. Ed: G. E. Abiyoke and I. S. Obot. A publication of CRASA, Uyo.
- Exploitation, Slavery, Social Conflicts and the New Phase of Pentecostalism in Nigeria (7th Annual Conference on Social Injustice, Department of Sociology/Criminal Justice, Virginia State University, 2019).
Before venturing into politics, Hon. Aniekan started business at age 17 and has garnered vast entrepreneurship spanning two decades with interests in manufacturing, building and construction, security and surveillance as well as hospitality providing jobs to more than 300 Nigerians.
Business firms he founded and co-founded includes Technocraft Contractors his first Company at age 19; a communications and securities outfit vested in sales and installations, Germain Products and Allied Services Ltd; leading producers of paints, resins, gum and vanishes, wood sealants, etc.
There is also the gem grand Lodge and gem lounge; a reputable and award winning hospitality outfit and Technogem; a civil engineering, architectural and quantity surveying outfit, etc.
- 2023 Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for Akwa Ibom North-East Senatorial District seat
- Speaker, Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly
- Honourable Member, Uruan State Constituency
- Chairman, House Committee on Parliamentary Affairs
- Executive Committee Member, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA)
- National Vice Chairman, Conference of Speakers of State Legislatures in Nigerian
- Chairman, South-South Speakers’ Forum
- Deputy National Coordinator, Maintain Peace Movement (MPM) – 2020
- Chairman, House Services Committee – 2017
- Deputy Leader, Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly – 2017
- Chairman, House Committee on Science and Technology. – 2018
Global achievements (Awards/Honors:)
- Ibom Pride Award of Excellence by AKISAN USA.
- Outstanding Service to Humanity Award by Royal Circle of Friends International.
- Pillar of Legislative Business and the Peoples’ Voice in AKHA by South-South Students’ Assembly.
- Distinguished Service Award by Uyo High School Old Boys Association.
- Certificate of Honour by Nsit Attai Council of Chiefs and Award for Effective Representation by University of Uyo Students’ Parliament.
- Speaker of the Year, South-South by Elite Exclusive Magazine Abuja.
- Re-Culture 2021 Award on Community Development/NGO.