Biography Intro: Enitimi Alfred Odom better known by his stage name Timaya, is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. He is the founder of South South hip hop group Dem Mama Soldiers. His solo career began in 2005 with the release of “Dem Mama”, which also appeared on his debut album, True Story released the following year. His second album Gift and Grace was released in 2008.
NAME: Enitimi Alfred Odom
DATE OF BIRTH: 15 August 1980
PLACE OF BIRTH: Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
OCCUPATION: Singer, musician
EDUCATION: For his early education, Odon attended Assemblies of God Nursery And Primary School.His secondary school education began at Nkpolu Oroworukwo in Port Harcourt. He would often break house rules to attend late-night music events. Before Timaya could graduate from school, his mother arranged for him to travel with his older brother and older sister to Lagos. After moving to the city, he gained admission into Lagos’ Ikeja Grammar School, where he eventually obtained a secondary school certificate.
Timaya later returned to Port Harcourt to study Banking and Finance at tertiary-level, however, he performed poorly in examinations and dropped out after first semester.He then moved back to Lagos to join Eedris Abdulkareem’s hiphop group as a backup vocalist.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Afrotainment-Museke Online African Music Awards
- 2011:Best Afro-Dancehall song, ” Plantain Boy” (Won)
- Nigeria Music Awards
- 2008: Album of the Year, True Story (Won)
- The Headies
- 2008: Best Reggae/Dancehall Album, True Story (Won)
- 2009: Best Reggae/Dancehall Album, Gift and Grace (Won)
- 2009: Best Collaboration, “Good or Bad” (with J. Martins and P-Square) (Won)
- 2009: Artiste of the Year (Nominated)
- 2010: Best Collaboration, “Kokoroko” (with Kefee) (Won)