Birth Registration Procedure in Nigeria
Normally, when a child is born, the registration should be done within sixty (60) days of birth.
If however, the sixty day period has elapsed, it becomes late registration and this attracts a fine.
Children between the ages of 0-18 were however initially exempted from the fine but the waiver expired in 2009
Birth registration can be done in the following locations:
- National Population Commission Registration centres.
- National Population Commission’s Offices at the
- Local Government Headquarters.
- National Population Commission’s Desks in Hospital/Health Centres and
- Other designated places by the commission.
Details required for the registration include:
- Notification of birth from a hospital.
- The full name of the child.
- The sex of the child.
- The date of birth of the child which must correspond with that on the notification of birth.
- Full names of both parents.
- The place of birth.