South Korea is an East Asian nation on the southern half of the Korean Peninsula.
Dialing code: +82
Currency: South Korean won
Did you know:
- In Korea, babies are considered one year old at birth
- An unmarried person is called a “Big Baby” in Korean slang.
- South Korean men love makeup, spending close to US$900 million a year, or a quarter of the world’s men’s cosmetics. Up to 20% of the male Korean population is reported to use makeup regularly.
- South Korea is the largest market for plastic surgery per capita in the world. It is estimated between 1/5 and 1/3 of the women in Seoul have gone under the knife for at least one cosmetic procedure.
- South Korea shares one of the world’s most heavily militarized borders with North Korea.
- South Korea is known for its green, hilly countryside dotted with cherry trees and centuries-old Buddhist temples, plus its coastal fishing villages, sub-tropical islands and high-tech cities such as Seoul, the capital.
- When a Korean’s name is written in red ink, this indicates that that person is about to die or is already dead.
- South Koreans believe that leaving an electric fan on overnight will kill the person sleeping directly below it.
- The microchips for Apple’s iPhones are made by the South Korean company Samsung.
- South Korea harvests more than 90% of the world’s seaweed consumption.
- All South Korean roofs are curved at the ends giving the appearance of a smile.