Thailand is a Southeast Asian country.
Largest city: Bangkok
Dialing code: +66
Currency: Thai baht
Official language: Thai
Did you Know:
- Thailand is the world’s 51st largest country.
- Thailand’s name in the Thai language is Prathet Thai, which means “Land of the Free.”
- Thailand is the only Southeast Asian country that was never colonized by an European country.
- Thailand has had several names over the centuries. For hundreds of years it was known by the names of its dominant cities, such as Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, and Thonburi. Since the 1800s, it has repeatedly switched back and forth between Siam (Sanskrit meaning dark or brown) and Thailand.
- One-tenth of the entire population of Thailand lives in Bangkok.
- Bangkok, Thailand was named the world’s hottest city.
- Thailand is home to the world’s hairiest child, Supatra “Nat” Sasuphan.
- Thailand used to be known as Siam, and it is the country where Siamese cats originated from.
- Buddhism is Thailand’s largest religion with approximately 94.6% of the population practicing the religion. Muslims make up 4.6%, Christians 0.7%, and “other” 0.1%.
- Thailand is made up of approximately 1,430 islands.
- Thailand shares a border with four countries: Myanmar (formerly Burma) to the north and west, Laos to the north and east, Cambodia to the southeast, and Malaysia to the south.
- Thailand is home to the world’s largest gold Buddha, the largest crocodile farm, the largest restaurant, the longest single-span suspension bridge, and the world’s tallest hotel.
- The longest name of place in the world is the full name of Bangkok, the capital city of Thailand: Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit. It means “City of Angels, Great City of Immortals, Magnificent City of the Nine Gems, Seat of the King, City of Royal Palaces, Home of Gods Incarnate, Erected by Visvakarman at Indra’s Behest.”