Uganda is an East Africa Country whose diverse landscape encompasses the snow-capped Rwenzori Mountains and immense Lake Victoria.
Dialing code: +256
President: Yoweri Museveni (1986 to date)
Currency: Ugandan shilling
Did You Know:
- Uganda is the smallest country in East Africa.
- It is Famously known as the “Pearl of Africa”, courtesy of William Churchill who gave it the name in 1908
- It is called “Pearl of Africa” “For its magnificence, for variety of form and color, for profusion of brilliant life — bird, insect, reptile, beast — for vast scale.
- It is also famous for its gorilla population
- Its abundant wildlife includes chimpanzees as well as rare birds. Remote Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is a renowned mountain gorilla sanctuary. Murchison Falls National Park in the northwest is known for its 43m-tall waterfall and wildlife such as hippos.
- An estimated 300,000 people lost their lives during the regime of Idi Amin (Former President: 1971-79).
- HIV/AIDS is a major threat in Uganda.
- Uganda welcomes over 800,000 tourists each year.
- In Uganda, if you cut one tree, then you will need to plant three trees.