Day care is the care of a child during the day by a person other than the child’s legal guardians, typically performed by someone outside the child’s immediate family. Day care is typically an ongoing service during specific periods, such as the parents’ time at work.
Daycare center (also referred to as ‘creche’ ‘child care’ or ‘preschool’) is where care is given to a child. The center can be run during the day (or night) by a person who is not their parent. Babysitting is done in the child’s home. Daycare services require the child to be taken to a different location during specific periods. This service is render especially when the parents are at work or traveled.
The regulatory requirements for starting a day care business include:
- Register your business: The day care needs to be registered as a business with the Corporate Affairs Commission (C.A.C). Also, the owner of the creche care center needs to apply license is also generally applied for by the owner.
- Obtain a permit: The Ministry of Women Affairs is saddled with the responsibility of certifying a day care. The fee to obtain the form is determined by the location of the day care. This simply means to obtain the permit to start up a day care at Victoria Island is going to be more expensive than Ikorodu. The certificate is usually granted after a year of inspection by a representative of the WOMEN Affairs Commission.
Educational Requirements/Trainings and Certification
- Ownerâs Qualification – The owner is expected to have a degree in Education or at least a post graduate diploma.
- Staff Qualification – The staff are also expected to trained care givers. They must have a reasonable experience in handling children or have some sort of certificate to be sure they are the perfect fit for the job
- Training and Certification – States vary on the training and certification required to open a day care. Some states may require first aid certification or an arranged contact at the local health center so that first aid can be easily administered if needed. Child care training courses may also be required for the owner or employees.
Infrastructure/Fun Activities and Equipment
- Building Requirements – The owner is required to have a building of his or her own. The size of the space however depends on the number of children involved Most states allow day care operators the option to run a day care out of their home or in a commercial location.
- Activities and Equipment – All equipment should be child safe and child accessible. Toys, artistic supplies, or other activities should be provided for children attending the day care center, as should schedule activities such as play times, nutritious meals, and nap times for younger children. Special need children can also attend the same day care with regular children as long as the day care has the facilities the child might require.
- Safety – The location chosen for a day care must be safe. Before a license is issued, a potential day care location is inspected by the state Ministry of Women Affairs representative to make sure that it meets state requirements and safety regulations.
All employees of the day care are required to have background checks to ensure that hiring them will not put the children at the day care in danger. Child-to-adult ratios (The number of staff required depends also on the number of children. Usually a ratio of 5:1. This means one adult to five children) must be maintained based on the age of the children being cared for. Though the exact ratios vary from state to state, more day care staff are required to care for younger children than older school-aged children.
All certifications, licenses and inspection results should be hung where parents can easily see them. A working telephone in the center is often required. Parents should have easy access to their children, being able to visit or take them home as needed. A list of policies should be presented to parents before accepting children to inform them of exactly what activities will be available to the child and what disciplinary actions the center will take if necessary.