1. Nigeria is an oceanic country with a drift line of around 420 nautical miles (nm) and Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of 200nm, which means a region of around 84000nm2 accessible to be investigated and misused. Around there lies inexhaustible living assets like fish, which represents around 40 for every penny of aggregate creature protein in the eating regimen of the normal Nigerian and non-living assets, for example, oil, that records for around 95 for each penny of Nigeria’s remote trade income. Aside from these assets, there are a few seaports and oil terminals which fill in as passage to the country with whatever remains of the world. Likewise is the expansive volume of delivery exercises because of the country’s import situated economy and business angling armada. The proposition by a few business visionaries to site refineries in Lagos, Edo, Bayelsa, and Akwa Ibom States notwithstanding the current ones around there will additionally build the exercises and enthusiasm for the Maritime Environment (ME). This underscores the monetary significance of the ME to the country.
2. The British Handbook (BR 1806) characterizes ME as the beach front ocean territories and that part of the land, which is vulnerable to impact or support from the ocean, by and large perceived as the locale which on a level plane envelops the land-water mass interface from 100km shorewards to 200nm adrift, and broadening vertically into space from the base of the sea and from the land surface. This territory is frequently alluded to as the littoral. The expanded interests and exercises around there regularly prompts a few unwholesome exercises which undermines the unhindered gathering of the assets in the region. Thusly this territory should be secured and ensured for the constant outfitting of the assets for monetary improvement.
3. The security and insurance of financial interests in the ME worldwide is the essential obligation of naval forces or coastguards. As per JR Hill, ‘the essential interests of every beach front state naval forces and different powers like coastguards accused of the obligation of policing the waters of a country is to endeavor to promote the fundamental interests of the seaside state, to be specific the expansion of sway, asset happiness in adjacent territories and the support of good request’. The NN guarantees the security of the ME in participation with other government offices, for example, Immigration, Customs, Police, the Army, Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) and Ports Authority. Naval commander Adekeye attested that the NN is the statutory, boss caretaker of the guard and security of the country’s monetary base as the greater part of the assets that contribute monstrously to the country’s economy are in the ME.
4 The NN part in ensuring the monetary base is a noteworthy commitment to the security and strength of Nigeria that converts into financial advancement of the country. As indicated by Welch ‘financial advancement encourages country building and country building encourages improvement’. In this way there is a cozy connection amongst advancement and country building. The NN consequently contributes specifically to country working by securing the ME and furthermore complimenting different divisions of the general public in country working by utilizing her overabundance limit in labor and assets for the monetary advancement of the country.
5. The importance of country building is very befuddling as most essayists see country working as a component of post struggle approach after military intercession in a nation by outer specialists while others see country working as the area of individuals inside a country. Vorster JM, distinguished ‘4 columns for a fruitful and maintainable country building which are monetary improvement, political advancement, moral improvement and advancement in instruction and preparing’.
6. This paper sees country working as the way toward accomplishing monetary development and improvement of a country through the advancement of foundations, framework, economy and social attachment. The part of the NN in country building would, along these lines, be expressed as the commitments of the NN to Nigeria’s endeavors in country building. The NN commitment to the procedure of country working in Nigeria is full of a few difficulties that should be analyzed to achieve change. The reason for this paper accordingly, is to reappraise the part of the NN in the country building process in Nigeria. This paper will be restricted to the part of the NN in bridling the financial assets in the ME towards country working in Nigeria.