Generally, the police is a body of people who are empowered by the state to protect lives, property, to enforce the law and reduce civil disorder. The police is usually described as a law enforcement authority. However, as will be seen shortly, the functions of the police exceed the aspect of law enforcement.
- Prevention and detection of crime
- Apprehension of offenders
- Preservation of law and order
- Protection of life and property
- Due enforcement of all laws and regulations with which they are directly charged