A state can be defined as a people permanently occupying a fixed territory bound together by common habits and custom into one political body. In Nigeria, states enjoy a level of sovereignty, but this sovereignty is within the constraints of the Federal Government as provided for by the constitution.
Their functions include
- Security of Lives and Properties
- Provision of Basic Amenities
- Creating Environment for Businesses to Thrive
- Establishment of Educational Institutions
- Establishment of Health Care Facilities
- Generation of Revenue