The Educational Research Centre is one of the academic centers of the Council. In line with the Councils mandate, the Educational Research Centre (ERC) encourages, promotes and coordinates educational research programmes carried out in Nigeria.
- The Educational Research Centre identifies educational problems in Nigeria in which research is needed, and establishes the order of priority thereof; periodically compiles and publishes a list of completed research projects.
- Compiles, publishes or sponsors the publication of the results of educational research, particularly in relation to Nigerian Educational Problems and the popularization of such results where their general recognition is in the Councils opinion of a national importance.
- Assesses, Surveys or investigates any educational matter considered necessary, either independently or in co-operation with individuals, organizations or agencies.
- Carries out studies in comparative curriculum.
- Develop, review and enrich curriculum at all levels;
- Undertake and promote book development, and local authorship for quality assurance;
- Conduct educational research for public policies formulation and implementation
- Develop Nigerian languages and promote other languages to enhance education delivery and for public use
The Council, on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) also:
- sponsors national and international educational conferences as may be relevant to her functions;
- serves as a centre for the collation, exchange and management of information on education and policy related issues;
- makes input into teacher education projects in tertiary educational institutions; as well as,
- carries out such other activities likely to assist in the performance of the functions imposed on the Council under Act No. 53.
- assess book for all levels of education for quality assurance.