Osisioma Ngwa is a Local Government Area of Abia state of Nigeria. Its headquarters are located in Osisioma town.
It has an area of 198 km2 (76 sq mi) and a population of 219,632 as per 2006 census data of Nigeria.
The name “Osisi” means tree, plant or wood and the name “Oma”, means good, fine, beautiful in the Igbo language. Thus, Osisioma means: good tree or fine plant or beautiful wood. It is a name associated with tree and beauty which is derived from the popular ornamental flower tree called Delonix regia, a species of flowering plant in the bean family Fabaceae, and subfamily Caesalpinioideae. It is noted for its fern-like leaves and flamboyant display of flowers. In many tropical parts of the world, it is grown as an ornamental tree and in English, it is given the name royal poinciana, flamboyant, flame of the forest, or flame tree (one of several species given this name) which is typically planted to decorate courtyards in houses in Osisioma Ngwa. A greater part of Aba city is in Osisioma Ngwa stretching up to Faulks Road.
Osisioma Ngwa is a flat land without hills or mountains and has a headwater located at Okpu Umuobo that runs through the thick forest cutting across into the city of Aba River waterside in Ogbor Hill. The river is a tributary of the Imo River located in the Southern part of Nigeria. Osisioma Ngwa shares boundaries with Ukwa West and Ugwunagbo in the South, Aba South LGA and Aba North LGA in the East, Isiala Ngwa South LGA in the North and Omuma LGA, Rivers State in the West.
Aba-Port Harcourt Expressway cuts through Osisioma Ngwa with the Aba-Owerri Road running through it from Aba Town Hall down to Olaz Oil filling station.
It has other major routes such as the NNPC depot road which leads to Osisioma Ngwa local government headquarters as well as Osisioma Police Divisional Headquarters, High and Magistrates Court and Ekeakpara market down to Owerrinta the boundary between Abia State and Imo State.
Agriculture is the major occupation of the people of Osisioma Ngwa. They are mostly subsistence farmers and grow Cassava, Oil Palm, Rafia Palm, Vegetable, Ube (Local Pear), Plantain, Okra, Maize, melon, red pepper, yam, and cocoa yam. Some people rear animals such as goats, sheep, fowl and occasionally cattle, but largely don’t grow crops or rear animals in commercial quantity.
Industries and companies
- Tonimas Group
- Chemlap Nigeria Ltd.
- J. Udeagbala Holdings
- Guinness Nigeria Plc
- NNPC Aba Depot
- Valleumbra Nigeria Limited
- VON Nigeria Limited
- Pitason Nigeria Limited
- Nicen Nigeria Limited
- Clover Paints Nigeria Limited
- Geometric Nigeria Limited
- Polema Industries Limited, to mention but a few
- Chriveld Petroleum Ltd.
Community leadership in Osisioma Ngwa is designated on the Traditional Ruler popularly called “Eze” which means King. The Eze is a person widely perceived to represent a community in its traditional religion and socio-economic development. The position of a traditional ruler is not hereditary and is subjected to the democratic process of nomination, selection, appointment and coronation of the eligible candidate among peers who contested for the post by the state Governor.
Various towns in Osisioma Ngwa LGA are divided into Autonomous communities which are spearheaded by a traditional ruler and they are as follows:
- OTUOBI: Umuigbe, Umuokwaa, Umuokereke, Umugwu, Umuodu, Ovoro, Umuadiele, Umuehehe, Umuogwe, Umuokorocha and others.
- ISIALA OSOKWA: Umuokereugo, Umuokere, Umuosi, Umuagwa, Umuohuonu, Umuegbe, Umuelekwa, Umuokpoo.
- MBUTUOMA: Mbutu Umugaa, Mbutu Isi Ahia, Mbutu Umuejije, Umuochuala.
- IBEKU NGWA AMAISE: Okoro, Nkali, Ugwuala, Agwu, Akiri
- MGBOKO UMUETTE: Umuikocha, Umuabuwa, Umuonyeichi, Umuelele, Umuafara, Osusu-Umuenyioma.
- AMUZU UMUNNEOKPU: Umuobasi-Ukwu, Njara Ukwu, Umuasomaji, Mbutu Ukazi, Umunwajere, Umuafornjara, Umunwankwougwu, Umuagbam.
- ISIALA OKPU: Amaiyi, Umuadiele, Ebere na Onwu, Umuodu, Umunwogu, Umunkarugbara, Umuagbam.
- AHIABA ALAOCHA: Amaugba, Umuonyembi, Umuamadi, Umuogine, Amawom, Umuekeji.
- OKPUALA UMUGWOR: Umuokwukwe, Umule, Umuokorocha, Umuajienyi, Umuiroma, Umuwomada, Umuadikwuru, Umunwokocha.
- ASA AMANO: Umuogba, Umuaja, Umuanyaonwu, Umuekeme, Asa Umudioka, Asa Amoka, Asa Oberete.
- ODE UKWU: Umunkwocha, Umuagwu, Okpokoroala, Umunwankwo, Osokoro, Umuobia, Umuoru, Umunwankwo Diokpa, Ichi, Umunwarie
- AMATOR: Umuagbai, Umugwu, Amaogwugwu, Umule, Umuokoro-ukwu, Umuakatta, Umueneregbe, Umuchima, Umuagwu.
- NJIKO UMUNNA: Egbelu-Umuegoro, Umukaegbu, Umugwo, Umungwaba, Umunwakwo Asonye, Ugboekpe, Umuogbaraegbe, Umuaduru, Umuoru, Umuokoroafor, Umuihudinma, Umuogogo.
- AMASATO: Umungasi, Umuchichi, Umule
- ARO-NGWA: Umuohia, Umuonyeukwu, Umuejea, Umuotutu, Umuarakpa
- ETITI AMAVO: Umuegoro, Ule Nwaghinna, Umunwangwa, Umuosouhie, Umuokereke, Umunkaru, Umuonwunata, Umuchima.
- UMUKA ARO: Umuevo, Umunkoro, Umuokorouka, Umuevuka, Umuama, Umuangara, Umuekpele, Umunwabughiogu, Umuogbonna.
The postal code of the area is 451.