1. Nigeria is an oceanic country with a drift line of around 420 nautical miles (nm) and Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of 200nm, which means a zone of around 84000nm2 accessible to be investigated and misused. Around there lies bounteous living assets like fish, which represents around 40 for each penny of aggregate creature protein in the eating routine of the normal Nigerian and non-living assets, for example, oil, that records for around 95 for every penny of Nigeria’s outside trade income. Aside from these assets, there are a few seaports and oil terminals which fill in as entryway to the country with whatever is left of the world. Furthermore is the vast volume of delivery exercises because of the country’s import situated economy and business angling armada. The proposition by a few business visionaries to site refineries in Lagos, Edo, Bayelsa, and Akwa Ibom States notwithstanding the current ones here will additionally expand the exercises and enthusiasm for the Maritime Environment (ME). This underscores the monetary significance of the ME to the country.
2. The British Handbook (BR 1806) characterizes ME as the seaside ocean zones and that part of the land, which is powerless to impact or support from the ocean, by and large perceived as the district which on a level plane envelops the land-water mass interface from 100km aground to 200nm adrift, and broadening vertically into space from the base of the sea and from the land surface. This territory is regularly alluded to as the littoral. The expanded interests and exercises around there frequently prompts a few unwholesome exercises which undermines the unhindered reaping of the assets in the region. Therefore this region should be secured and ensured for the ceaseless bridling of the assets for financial improvement.
3. The security and insurance of financial interests in the ME worldwide is the essential obligation of naval forces or coastguards. As indicated by JR Hill, ‘the essential interests of every single beach front state naval forces and different powers like coastguards accused of the duty of policing the waters of a country is to endeavor to promote the fundamental interests of the seaside state, to be specific the augmentation of sway, asset satisfaction in coterminous territories and the support of good request’. The NN guarantees the security of the ME in collaboration with other government offices, for example, Immigration, Customs, Police, the Army, Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) and Ports Authority. Naval commander Adekeye affirmed that the NN is the statutory, boss caretaker of the protection and security of the country’s monetary base as the vast majority of the assets that contribute hugely to the country’s economy are in the ME.
4 The NN part in ensuring the financial base is a noteworthy commitment to the security and steadiness of Nigeria that converts into monetary advancement of the country. As indicated by Welch ‘monetary improvement encourages country building and country building encourages advancement’. Accordingly there is a cozy connection amongst improvement and country building. The NN consequently contributes straightforwardly to country working by securing the ME and furthermore complimenting different segments of the general public in country working by utilizing her abundance limit in labor and assets for the monetary improvement of the country.
5. The significance of country building is very confounding as most authors see country working as a component of post strife arrangement after military intercession in a nation by outside specialists while others see country working as the territory of individuals inside a country. Vorster JM, distinguished ‘4 columns for an effective and supportable country building which are monetary advancement, political improvement, moral improvement and improvement in instruction and preparing’.
6. This paper sees country working as the way toward accomplishing monetary development and improvement of a country through the advancement of organizations, framework, economy and social attachment. The part of the NN in country building would, in this way, be expressed as the commitments of the NN to Nigeria’s endeavors in country building. The NN commitment to the procedure of country working in Nigeria is laden with a few difficulties that should be inspected to realize change. The motivation behind this paper in this manner, is to reappraise the part of the NN in the country building process in Nigeria. This paper will be restricted to the part of the NN in tackling the financial assets in the ME towards country working in Nigeria.