A trademark is an image or a sign which separates the merchandise and enterprises of one business from another. You can enroll your trademark – a name, logo, motto, area name, shape, shading or sound with the Commercial Law division, Ministry of Trade and Investment in Nigeria.
This can legitimately shield your trademark from use by a contender. The trademark must be particular for the merchandise and enterprises that you give, not be beguiling, unlawful or corrupt and not be like existing trademarks
1. Your full name(s), nationality and physical address
2. The trademark data: The portrayal must be clear and particular. In the event that to be recorded on the web, delicate duplicates are to be given in jpeg organize at least 1200 dpi.
3. For merchandise, a full scope of products secured or proposed to be secured by the exchange stamp.
4. A Power of Attorney just marked, with full particulars of name(s), address (es) and nationality of the applicant(s). Full name(s) and limit of the signatory when candidate is a firm/organization.
Methods FOR REGISTRATION OF TRADEMARKS
1. The typical market rehearse is to train a neighborhood Attorney/Agent in Nigeria, who might record and process applications at the Nigerian Registry of Trade Marks, Patents, Designs and Copyright. A Power of Attorney/Authorization of Agent Form would be finished for such nearby Agent, as the empowering instrument to represent the chief/Applicant.
2. In the wake of recording the application for exchange stamp enrollment, the Registrar issues an official affirmation mirroring the official number and documenting date of the application.
3. An inquiry is led in order to affirm on the off chance that it is unique in relation to existing or pending enlistment. On the off chance that the Registrar finds the trademark worthy for enrollment, the candidate will be outfitted with a letter/notice of acknowledgment.
4. Each exchange check application must be promoted in the Nigerian Trademark Journal, and is available to restriction for a time of two (2) months from the date of ad.
5. On the off chance that no complaints are gotten inside the predefined period or no protests are supported, the Registrar will issue the candidate with a declaration of enlistment.
6. Whenever issued, the Registration Certificate will have the date of beginning documenting of enlistment
7. Nigerian exchange stamp enrollments have an underlying legitimacy of seven (7) years, and are from that point inconclusively sustainable for times of fourteen (14) years. An application for restoration ought to be made at least three (3) months from the due date.