Documents Required for Registering a New Car in Nigeria
- Attestation letter from the company of purchase;
- Receipt of Purchase/Invoice;
- Delivery note from the company of purchase
- Proof of Ownership of the car
- A valid and current Driver’s License.
- Any means of Identification such as National Identity Card and International passport
- Proof of current address (You can make use of your Utility Bill)
- Passport photograph of the car owner.
ALSO READ: GTBank Mobile Money Transfer: Step by Step Guide
For new imported cars the following additional documents are required:
- Tax Identification Number.
- Custom papers (showing that the vehicle has been cleared by customs)
- Motor Vehicle Duty Certificate
Procedure for Registering a New Car in Nigeria
- Pay a visit to the State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licensing Authority (SBIR/MLA), pick up an “allocation of plate number” form and fill in all the details.
- Attach all necessary documents and submit
- Once the authorities are satisfied, you will be required to fill more forms. These are:
- Allocation of Registration Number of New Vehicle Form
- Auto vehicle License Form
- Form B
- Federal Road Safety Form, FRSC Form and
- Tax Form
- All the filled forms and attached documents are then forwarded to the police officer assigned to the licensing office for verification, by way of verification stamp and date indicated on the form.
- The next stage after the verification process is payment for license plate which is done in the bank. The amount required is usually about 50,000 naira. Although this depends on the kind of plate you wish to have.
- After payment, you will be required to present your receipt and a plate number based on availability will be allocated to you. You will also be given Proof of Ownership Certificate Number, Proof of ownership Certificate and a Vehicle Identification Tag (VIT)
- All the original documents you submitted will then be returned to you. You need to cross check to make sure that nothing is missing.
- The next step is to buy insurance policy for your new car. This can be a comprehensive or third party insurance.