National Examinations Council (NECO) is an examination body in Nigeria that conducts the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination and the General Certificate in Education in June/July and November/December/ respectively. NECO was created by former Head of State Abdulsalami Abubakar in April 1999
National Examinations Council (NECO) decree was promulgated in 1992 by the Ibrahim Babangida administration
Functions Of The National Examinations Council (NECO) are highlighted on the Vision, Mission, and Mandate of the Concil below:
The Vision Of NECO Is:
- To Prepare and administer standard and credible nationally and internationally acceptable examinations.
- To become a major player within the global assessment industry.
The Mission Of NECO Is:
- To ensure that the examinations conducted by NECO are in conformity with the provisions, expectations and yearnings of the National Policy on Education and the National Curriculum.
- To deliver Examinations whose results are trusted worldwide for their credibility.
The Mandate Of NECO Is To
- National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE)
- Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE)
- Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) Internal and External