The history of paying a price for wife can be traced back to ancient days and cultures. In Akwa ibom the bride price depending on the time, age, locations and the situations surrounding each marriage e.g If the bride is pregnant before wedding in which case Insult penalty is paid to the Family.
Media Nigeria has taken time to make you this Akwa Ibom Traditional Marriage list from true source. You will also see photographs of the lists.
Happy Reading!! Happy Wed-luck!!
Akwa Ibom Traditional Marriage List Real Sample List 1
ITEM FOR THE FATHER.
1, ten yard of lace.
2, six white pieces of singlet.
3, six pieces of white pant.
4, one hat and one piece of English wax.
5, A pair of shoe and sock.
6, walking stick.
7, wrist watch and towel.
8, one bottles of three in one Remic Martin.
9, two cartons of Eva wine.
10, two cartons of fruit juice.
11, twenty five crates of minerals.
12, ten crates of Guiness.
13, twenty cartons of star beer.
14, twenty cartons of gulder.
15, two cartons of Don simon.
16, two cartons of 5 alive.
17, ten jars of palm wine.
18, two bigs goats.
19, six hen.
20, money for food items 300,000,00.
21, Band 150, 000,00.
22, Dowry for the father 500,000,00.
23, 5 litre of kai-kai.
ITEM FOR THE MOTHER.
1, A piece of wrapper, blouse. 2, A pair of shoes.
3, wrist watch, head tie, hand bag, and umbrella.
4, Ofong ndom with stock fish.
5, four bags of salt.
6, 2 big basin each: crayfish, pepper, 1 tin of palm oil.
7, one big bottle of yogo wine.
8, five cartons of Guinness malt.
9, five crates of mineral.
10, one standing box.
11, five tubers of yam and one stock fish.
12, two jars of palm wine.
13, Dowry for the mother 100,000,00.
1, one big bottle of yogi wine.
2, three bottle of Eva wine.
3, three cartons of star beer.
4, three cartons of gulder. 5, 5 crates of mineral.
6, Kola nut
7, one head of tobacco, ginding snuff and limestone.
Family dowry 20,000,00.
1, one bottle of Eva wine.
2, one crates of mineral.
3, one bag of salt.
4, money for the women, 5,000.
1, one cartons of star beer.
2, one crates of mineral.
3, one bottle of seaman schnapps.
4, one FIFA football with pump.
5, 1 roll of Benson cigarette.
6, fee 3000.
Akwa Ibom Traditional Marriage List Real Sample List 2
Mkpo Ndọ Eka Ayin (Father)
1. Ebot eka – okop usem, ked (one native goat)
2. Ekpeme brandy ked enwañ ọfọñisin – English wax (one bottle of
brandy wrapped with loin cloth)
3. Ọfọñisin – George, Hollandis ked ked (one each of George and
4. Itọñ ọfọñ iba – lace (two lace blouses)
5. Ubọp eba, ọfọñiwot, ọfọñ adaha idem, iba, ñkpọ ubọk mme ñkpọ itọñ,
iba iba (two each of brassiere, headtie, underskirt, lingerie)
6. Nkanika ubọk, ufΛk eyo, ikpa ukot, ked ked (one each of wrist watch,
umbrella, pair of shoes)
7. Ọkpọsọñ mmin carton ked kutọ kutọ (one carton of assorted spirits)
8. Beer carton ition (5 cartons of beer)
9. Mmem mmem mmin crate ition (5 crates of mineral water)
7. Ọkpọ ukọt ọkọọk ked (one keg of palm wine)
8. Ekpeme whisky ked (one bottle of whisky)
9. Ebot nditọ ete (one nanny goat for the extended family)
10. ỌkΛk nditọ ete (cash for the extended family, varied, ranging from
11. ỌkΛk itọñ ebot, (cash on the ‘neck’ of the goat, varied, ranging from
Mkpọ Etebom mme Ekaete (Grandfather and Grandmother)
1. Uman ebot ked (one nanny goat)
2. Ọfọñ isin, ọfoñ idem, ọfọñ iwod ked ked (one piece of loin cloth, one
top, one head tie for the grandmother)
3. Ọfọñ isin, ọfọñ idem, itam, esañ ked ked (one each of loin cloth, top,
hat, and walking stick for the grandfather)
4. Ọkpọsọñ mmin ked (one bottle of spirit)
5. Ekpeme ufọfọp ked (one bottle of native gin)
6. Ekpeme wine ked (one bottle of wine)
7. Iwot unwọñ ked (one sheaf of tobacco)
8. Akañ (limestone)
9. Ete ibọñ ked mme usiak ibọñ (one pod of kola nuts plus N200.00)
10. Udia ition (5 yams)
11. Ọkpọ ukọt ọkọọk ked (one calabash or keg of palm wine)
12. ỌkΛk etebom mme ekaete (cash for grandfather and grandmother,
negotiable, say about N5, 000.00)
Mkpo Ndọ Ete Ayin (Father)
1. Asaña nta whisky mme English wax (one bottle of 3-in-1 whisky
wrapped with English wax loin cloth)
2. Ebot ete ayin – okop usem (one native nanny goat)
3. Akamba ọfọñ idem mme English wax (one ‘chieftaincy’ top with
English wax loin cloth)
4. Esañ, itam, ikpọukot mme stọkin, ufΛkeyo, ked ked (one each of
walking stick, hat, umbrella)
5. Siọt, sinkin, nkanika ubọk, ked ked (one each of shirt, singlet, wrist
6. Ọfọñ ukuoko idem (one bath towel)
7. Whisky mme schnapps carton kedeked (one carton each of whisky and
8. Carton beer duop kutọ kutọ (10 cartons of assorted beer)
9. Crate mmem mmem mmin duop (10 crates of mineral water)
10. Ufọfọp ke ufa otu [native gin in a new (ceramic) jar]
11. Ukọkọk unwọñ (ground tobacco) mme akañ (limestone)
12. Ibọñ mme usiak ibọñ (a pod of native kola nuts plus cash)
Mbup Ndọ Ayin (“Asking for the woman’s hand”)
1. Ete: Ekpeme Schnapp ked [Father: One bottle of Schnapps (Seaman’s)
wrapped in a loin cloth}
2. Eka: Ekpeme wine ked ewañ ke ọfọñ isin (Mother: One bottle of wine
wrapped in a loin cloth)
3. Carton beer ked (One carton of beer)
4. Crate memmem mmin ked (One crate of mineral water)
5. Uman ebot ked (okop usem) (One native nanny goat)
Mkpọ Nditọ Ete (Extended Family)
1. Carton beer ked (one carton of beer)
2. Crate mmem mmem min ked (one crate of mineral water)
3. Iwot unwọñ (one ‘head’ or sheaf of tobacco)
4. Ete ibọñ ked (one pod of native kola nuts)
5. Okuk usiak ibọñ (cash for breaking of the kola, varied, from N200.00)
6. Ekpeme ufọfọp ked (one bottle of native gin)
10. Aman akama ked mme ukọp (one big metal basin with a cover)
Mkpọ otu owo (General)
1. Nsuan nsuan mmin (assorted drinks for the guests)
2. Okuk ibeñe (cash for entertainment, negotiable but should be
Mkpọ Ọkpọñọ (Name sake)
1. Ebot ọkpọñọ (one nanny goat)
2. Ọfọñ isin, ọfọñ idem, ufọk iwod ked ked (loin cloth, top, headgear,
either male or female)
3. ỌkΛk ọkpọñọ (cash for the namesake, negotiable)
Note: Any requirement for cash is negotiable including bride price.
Items for the grandmother and mother are usually bought by the bride although with money from the groom.
Insult to the Family : In case she is pregnant or have a baby before “marriage” from the groom
1. One She Goat
2. One bottle of St. Remy
3. Two Carton of Star Beer
4. Two crates of soft drinks
5. One bottle of native gin
6. Two Bottles of wine