The success of any election depends on efficient planning and its conduct, i.e. accreditation, voting, counting, collation and results declaration.
Collation is the tabulation or summation of votes cast at an election while results declaration is the final step in the elections. It is the official announcement of election results by the electoral administrators.
For the Collation and Declaration of chairmanship Election Result:
- The Presiding Officers send results of poll to the RA Collation Officer;
- The RA Collation Officer collates results from polling units, declares the result for Councillorship and returns the winner. The Chairmanship result is sent to the Local Government Area (LGA) Collation Officer;
- The LGA Collation Officer collates the results from the various wards in the LGA, declares and returns the winner as Chairman-elect for the Local Government;
See Also: Collation And Declaration Of Election Results In Nigeria – What You Need To Know
A candidate for a contested election to the office of Chairman of an Area Council shall be declared winner if he has:
- A majority of the votes cast at the election; and
- Not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the Wards in the Area Council.
Note: Where two or more candidates score an equal number of votes being the highest in an election, the Returning Officer shall not return any of the candidates and a fresh election shall be held for the candidates on a date to be appointed by the Commission (Section 69 of Electoral Act 2010 as amended).
List Of All Polling Units And Wards In Nigeria
Where no candidate gets the required spread, the Commission shall within seven (7) days of the result of the election arrange for another election between the candidate who scored the highest number of votes at the election and one among the remaining candidates who has a majority of votes in the highest number of States. Where there is more than one candidate with a majority of votes in the highest number of States, the candidate with the highest total of votes cast at the election shall be the second candidate for the election.
Number Of Registered Voters & PVC Collection Rate Per State Of Nigeria’s 2019 General Elections
Electoral (INEC) Requirements For Declaring Someone Winner Of Nigeria Presidential Election
Electoral (INEC) Requirements For Declaring Someone Winner Of Nigeria Governorship Election
Electoral Requirements For Declaring Someone Winner Of Nigeria National Assembly Election
Electoral Requirements For Declaring Someone Winner Of Nigeria State House Of Assembly Election