There are a lot of delicious beans recipes and plantain recipes out there. But did you know that you can actually combine these two ingredients and make an incredibly delicious meal?
Nigerian Beans & Plantain Porridge Ingredients
- 250 gr Beans (brown or black eyed beans)
- 1 Ripe plantains(peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 onion bulb (sliced)
- 2 tablespoonful ground crayfish1 stock cube
- 1 cooking -spoonful Red palm oil/stew oil
- Pepper&Salt to tasteNigerian Beans & Plantain Porridge
1a. First , soak the beans in cold water for about 3 hours or overnight. Discard the water, rinse the beans and strain in a colander or strainer.
Tip: if you want this meal in a jiffy,skip the soaking and cook the beans with 1/5 teaspoon baking soda.
1b. Cut the plantains, peel of the skin, cut into chunks and set aside.
1c. Grind the crayfish. Chop the onions and pepper and set aside.
2. Place the strained beans into a pot or pressure cooker , pour in some
water, enough to cover the beans(an inch over the beans level). Then
leave to cook until tender, but not too soft.You might need to add more
water, but be careful not to add to much , to avoid having a watery
3. Now add the onions and peeled plantains to the pot. Cook until the plantains are tender.
4. Add the crayfish, stock cubes, palm oil , salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly and leave to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes on low heat. And your Beans and Plantain Porridge is ready.
You can eat it as it is or topped with tomato stew, or simply serve with bread.